Search this website

John S. Marietta, M.D.

On December 8, 1980, TCHD Medical Library was named The John S. Marietta Memorial Medical Library in memory of John S. Marietta, M.D., 1915 - 1980. Dr. Marietta played an integral role in establishing the library facility and its collections.

John Stanley Marietta, M.D., joined the Medical Staff of City-County Hospital in 1953, one year before it became John Peter Smith Hospital. He served as Chairman of the Department of Medicine in 1955 and again in 1970. Throughout his professional life, Dr. Marietta was an active member of the Tarrant County Hospital District Teaching Medical and Dental Staff in many capacities, servicing as President of the Staff in 1977. He also served on the medical staffs of Harris Hospital-Methodist, Saint Joseph Hospital and All Saints Episcopal Hospital.

Dr. Marietta was born in Portland, Oregon on August 23, 1915. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Kansas (’37) and was a graduate of the Harvard Medical School (’41). He served his internship at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut (’42), and did postdoctoral training in residency programs at Hartford Hospital and Parkland Hospital in Dallas (’49). Following his residency he joined the teaching staff of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas as a Clinical Instructor in the Department of Medicine.

In addition, Dr. Marietta was also Secretary/Treasurer of the Tarrant County Medical Library Association, and was a member of the Tarrant County Medical Society, the Fort Worth Club of Internists and the Texas Academy of Internists.